Thursday, June 14, 2012

I like books! And stuff!

I'd just like to say that today was a complete and total social disaster. I had to go to Half Price Books, to see if they had considered my application yet. I submitted it Sunday, and Stephanie of the handshake-that-parts-shoulder-from-socket sect told me that the manager would be back Tuesday, and an underling would start calling people to set up interviews Monday.
I'm not really sure how this picture applies. Uhm, you would remember your potential killer's name too if... she'd... Vulcan nerve handshake-d your hand? ...I like Spock.
 So I walk in today, sell some books, and ask the lady at the counter if they had looked at the apps yet. The manager was also standing there, and he was like "Ohp, we only had one summer position open, and we filled it last week! Sorry." Well, thanks, manager jerkface, for letting me know that I should stop holding my breath. Oh wait... you didn't. So then I bought a few books, and he had to follow me out into the parking lot because he forgot to give me the money he should have for selling my books. The books he watched me sell.
Completely unbiased portrait of this manager. I'm not bitter over his inability to let me know I didn't have a chance of getting hired and making me keep hoping I did, not one bit.
 So, equipped with the knowledge that the job I had been waiting on was no longer an option, I applied to a few other places. One of them was Barnes and Noble. I walk in, fill out an application, and go back to turn it in, and the guy is like "All right." and skims it, and then asks "And why do you want to work here?" completely off hand. Little did he know that he has just asked me the question to end all questions. My brain shuts down, systems on red alert. I have not planned out an answer to this inevitable question! I have nothing to say besides 'because I'm poor'! ABORT ABORT
Wait, you have to actually talk to people and convince them of your worthiness when you're applying for a job?
But the guy was still staring at me. I had to answer. "Uhm, I would like to work here because I like books, and I read a lot, and books are interesting, and I go to college so I'm around books a lot, and reading is fun, and I like books, and yeah so that's why I would like to work here. For the books." All higher brain function had shut off. I was stranded.
I like books so much I even know how to use them.
He just said okay, and I sensed the dismissal for what it was and beat a hasty retreat. Right into a girl I knew in high school. Sayanora, speedy retreat. I was doomed. And then, when I'd completed that awkward social encounter, I tried to buy a book and get the hell outta dodge. "Uh, miss? Don't forget your keys!" I'd left them on the checkout counter.
To top off the complete social incompetency? The books I bought today are as follows: Black Butler, a manga, two Star Trek books, and a book called Atlantis God (the description included nazis.)
Hello, My name is Brittni, and I am an utter social failure. (Hello, Brittni.)

2 comments:

  1. BRITTNI IS MY FAVORITE PERSON EVAR AND I FIND HER SOCIAL AWKWARDNESS TO BE EXCEEDINGLY ENDEARING!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, at least I have you on my side. Us against (every social encounter in) the world!

      Delete